funsec mailing list archives

Re: whitehouse cyber strategy review

From: Dan Kaminsky <dan () doxpara com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 13:19:35 -0800

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 12:52 PM,  <chris () blask org> wrote:
--- On Sun, 11/15/09, Dan Kaminsky <dan () doxpara com> wrote:

Stuff on Windows is attacked because its popular.
That's really all.

I don't believe any system is "secure" if you can't continue to prove it from moment to moment and I care a lot less
about intrinsic weaknesses if you can see when they are exploited.

Therefore, if I was going to push for any sort of technical mandate to address the issue at hand, it would be
comprehensive log management.  With tools like Splunk and OSSIM (which has gotten really good in recent years)
available it has become within reasonable reach of anyone moderately serious about security to monitor WTF is going
on in their networks.  More importantly, it is now clear that over the next 5-10 years this will become the nexus of
security operations it has indicated it will over the last 5-10.

Of course I am incredibly biased, which is why no-one responsible for securing the entire US gov't infrastructure
should just listen to me or any one of us alone, but should rather hold the kind of mind-numbingly iterative
conversations that the document that started this thread represent to make such decisions.

-chris

Non-rhetorical question:

What do we think the infection discovery rate is, and do we think it
has increased or decreased in recent years?