funsec mailing list archives

Re: Family tech support

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 08:54:50 -0500

Get her Windows 7 and have her run as Standard User. She won't be able
to install anything difficult to remove anymore.

If she needs admin privileges then she needs them on Linux too. Maybe
people aren't writing such malware for Linux but they could. Given that,
what could Microsoft do?

One answer could be whitelisting; it's becoming a reasonable solution in
managed networks, but for consumers it's not clear who manages the list.

Larry Seltzer
Contributing Editor, PC Magazine
larry_seltzer () ziffdavis com
http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/