funsec mailing list archives

Re: Family tech support

From: Theodore Pham <telamon () cmu edu>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 13:23:26 -0500

Drsolly wrote:
Daughter.1 has picked up a nasty, that wants her to pay for an antivirus,
and keeps nagging at her. She already had Norton, but that doesn't seem to
want to know. I don't know if she's updated it - probably not.

I didn't fancy wrestling with the malware to try to remove it, or go back
to some previous checkpoint (there probably isn't one).

I offered her two solutions.

1) reinstall XP. She doesn't have the CDs (I don't think they came with
the computer). I suspect you can't buy XP now. Vista will cost her about a
hundred pounds, and then she'll need to buy a new word processor, I'd
guess. Probably another hundred or two.

Have her run the free version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
(http://www.malwarebytes.org/) to remove the fake antivirus. It's
surprisingly effective for removal.  Has a better UI for novices than
ComboFix and updates very frequently.

Then dump Norton and install either the newish free Microsoft Security
Essentials (http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/) or Avira's
free AntiVir (http://www.free-av.com/)

Also switch her to Firefox and make sure she has the latest Adobe
Flash/Reader. Tell her not to skip any of their updates.

Ted Pham