funsec mailing list archives

Re: Best Linux distribution for home use (was: Family tech support)

From: "steve pirk [egrep]" <steve () pirk com>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 01:33:53 -0800

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 22:57, David Lodge <dave () cirt net> wrote:

On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 18:53:54 -0000, <chris () blask org> wrote:
So, the question is:  what is the best linux distribution for home use?

My personal choice is Fedora. The other alternative is Ubuntu (which I
have nothing against, I just can't get used to the packaging interface on
it; which is just my bias, not that there's anything wrong with the
packaging interface).

[snip]

Then again, as I only run Linux on my server box, I'm going to be
scrapping it and moving to a sheevaplug running Ubuntu (to keep the better
half happy: 5W of regular power, as opposed to ~35W), but having it
headless.

dave

Sheevaplug rocks, but if you like control and fine tune-ablility, consider
[and most ARM processors]. At least you have 2 flavors of linux for the
device then... [love the sheeva]

http://armedslack.com/

To Chris: I settled on Ubuntu, mainly because Evolution works out of the box
and I can use it to talk to the work exchange server via the outlook web
access. Also like the fact that you really never know the root password, you
can only use sudo.

chrome.google.com - select the learn more link, and select the developers
channel. You can download/install a debian [.deb] build of chrome for Debian
Linux [Ubuntu]. It screams! [other reason I went w/Ubuntu].

--steve
steve pirk
refiamerica.org
"father... the sleeper has awakened..." paul atreides - dune
kexp.org member august '09