funsec mailing list archives

Re: Best Linux distribution for home use (was: Family tech support)

From: chris () blask org
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 18:39:16 -0800 (PST)

--- On Sun, 11/29/09, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:

What I've told people the last 2 years or so is "Fedora or
Ubuntu - final choice based on what the geeky kid next door
will help with if you buy the pizza".

I'm pretty sure I can geek up enough to be the kid next door (at least until my son geeks past me). Getting him on
linux is in no small part an effort to kick-start his geekification at any rate.

I think in the end it will have to be a multi-boot situation.  I have him running Ubuntu in CD-boot mode for now while
he/we play with it.  I'm already frowning just a little bit but all in all it works alright.  The keyboard seemed to
disappear five minutes in (think I may have hit Fn and scared it) and it certainly won't run iTunes to sync with his
iPhone (I'm still appalled that I run apple sw at all...).  I'll leave it in CD boot mode long enough to decide whether
to dual (or tri) boot it with Win and maybe Fedora.

Any opinion on whether it is Wine to run Win apps like iTunes or just run WinSomething in a VM?

-chris