funsec mailing list archives

Re: Family tech support

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 2009 01:07:39 +1300

Gregory Hicks to me:

I really hate to say this but I've got OO running on an Ultra-1 and 5
PCs.  (I've also had it running on other versions of SPARC boxen...)
I've been using OO for, I guess, about 5 years...  The only version of
MS Word that I have NOT been able to import from is the 2007 version.

Fortunately, that version can save in different formats that OO CAN
import.

I've been passing documents back and forth between OO and MS Word at
home and at $WORK w/o problem.  I also have to admit that the number of
'problems' went down with OOv1.7 and really went down w/v2.0...  I also
have to say that these documents were just plain, vanilla documents w/o
any special formatting (my daughters doing school documents...)

Hate away, but I'm talking about fairly current versions of OOO (like
the latest or one or two minor sub-versions behind) and over the last
approximately 12 months, _AND_ doing real-world document editing of
real-world documents.  Notice also, that I mentioned round-tripping --
that is, real-world work situations where someone sends you a document,
you have to edit it, send it back, have them massage it further, send
it back, rinse, lather, repeat ad nauseum.  It's bad enough that OOO
won't correctly open and edit its own documents and ones that it
previously opened in another format, then apparently allowed successful
editing and saving of, so I guess I shouldn't expect it to inter-
operate with other apps and the same format...

Track-changes is a joke.  Modestly complex tables (like more than than
nine cells total) -- a joke.  More than two font families or more than
one font size in a paragraph -- expect trouble.  Indenting -- who the
f*k in the real world would use that?  Surely no-one making real-world
documents -- if you use OOO...

It is quite a bit less flakey with its own documents so long as you
don't try to edit them on any other version of OOO, but try to make any
modestly complex document (more than two fonts and more than two sizes,
indents, etc) and I can't believe anyone actually uses it.

Earlier I didn't mention it's arbitrary and random font resizing
_within words_, within lines and within documents, some of which (but
not usually the ones you see rendered wrong on screen) are also
rendered incorrectly at print time.  You can always pick the OOO user
at a conference from this weird font-missizing onscreen during their
presentations in [un]Impress without ever having to see the program
startup and get into presentation mode.

And don't get me started on that miserable excuse of a spreadsheet app
included with it!

Other than all that though, it's a _fine_ piece of software...

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald