funsec mailing list archives

Re: Family tech support

From: Susan Bradley <susan () msmvps com>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 10:11:46 -0800

Susan Bradley wrote:
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 23:42:48 +1300, Nick FitzGerald said:

Yeah, but if she has to actually _exchange_ documents with with
others > who don't run the same similarly broken version of OOO as
she does (and > let's just ignore the embarrasing proportion of OOO
documents that > won't correctly re-open after you save and close
them), or worse, with > lecturers/tutors/etc who will almost surely
be using the "real" MS > version and may be rather intolerant of
marking her assignments if they > don't open properly...

Hmm... you've never worked in an enterprise where half the people have
upgraded to the new release of Word, and the other half haven't installed
the plugin that lets their old Word not vomit when they get documents
from
the new Word.

Tell your admin download the Office group policy admx file
Go up to the server
Set the default policy for Word/Excel (whatever) to save as the 2003
format even if someone is using 2007.

No vomit.

I only recently flipped that setting off, but for about two years, we
had no compat issues.