funsec mailing list archives

El Al security model..

From: phester <funsec () armorfirewall com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 19:53:31 -0500 (EST)

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/01/11/yeffet.air.security.israel/

In 2002, we had Richard Reid, the shoe bomber. This man gave the security
people all the suspicious signs that any passenger could show. The man got
a British passport in Belgium, not in England. Number Two: he flew to
Paris, he bought a one-way ticket from Paris to Florida. He paid cash. He
came to the airport with no luggage. What else do I need to know that this
passenger is suspicious?

What did we learn from this? Just to tell the passenger from now on, you
take off your shoes when you come to the airport?

Now we face the story with [Umar Farouk] AbdulMutallab. We had all the
information that we could dream the security people could get. He was on
the list of people connected to al Qaeda. I don't need more to understand
that when he comes, I am not looking for more evidence. He is suspicious;
I have to take care of him.

His father called the U.S. Embassy a month before he took the flight and
told the U.S. Embassy that his son had called and said this was the last
time you were going to hear from me. And the father warned the U.S.
Embassy that his son was going to do something bad, watch him. What
happened to this information?

The guy bought a ticket and paid $3,000 cash. ... No one knew the
information that we had about him, no one could interview him and to ask
him why is he flying to America.

What do you think of using full body scanners?

I am against it, this is once again patch on top of patch. Look what
happened, Richard Reid, the shoebomber, hid the explosives in his shoes.
The result -- all of us have to take off our shoes when we come to the
airport. The Nigerian guy hid his explosives in his underwear. The result
-- everyone now will be seen naked. Is this the security system that we
want?