funsec mailing list archives

Re: Good, bad or indifferent?

From: Dave Dennis <dmd () speakeasy org>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 14:36:17 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010, Thomas Raef wrote:

Right. Is this sounding like "big-brother"?

To me not in the least.  Its sounding like finally at long last some sort of end
to the wild west where any idiot can keep shooting his attacks anywhere he wants
without accountability for his actions.

But of course, thats not the only point of view, and many will agree it is big
brotherism.

Is it more important to allow open access to all, regardless of their malicious
(unwitting, but come on) actions ?

Or is it preferable to run a network where malicious actions are closed off til
they are addressed.

Some argue the former, violently so.

Others argue the latter, just as violently so.

-Dave D

Thomas J. Raef

e-Based Security <http://www.ebasedsecurity.com/>

"You're either hardened or you're hacked!"

We Watch Your Website <http://www.wewatchyourwebsite.com/>

"We Watch Your Website - so you don't have to."