funsec mailing list archives

Re: Here We Go Again: Internet 'Drivers Licenses'

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 23:43:27 -0500 (EST)

Wow, and the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami killed (re: Wikipedia) almost
230,000 people.  How many millions would die in a cyberwar?

Depends on what gets hit.  Take over the SCADA for New York City's
utilities, especially at this time of year, and you could kill a
substantial fraction of the city.  Over 230K would not surprise me.

Of course, the hard part would be keeping it doing what you want; I
don't know to what extent it would be possible to switch back to manual
control for the most essential services, and whether it could be done
fast enough.

And, of course, on whether you could reach them at all.  I don't know
how intelligently they are secured, but I'm pessimistic.  All it takes
is one slip-up, and governments have a poor track record at listening
to the people who actually know how to do that kind of thing right....

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org