funsec mailing list archives

Re: 95% of User Generated Content is spam or malicious

From: "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb () byrneit net>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 18:11:11 -0800

I dunno. For those of us who have been on-net forever, with well
archived and distributed e-mail addresses and parent zones, your
assertion is clearly true.

I find it very interesting how the spam volume to any of my various mail
accounts is inversely proportional to two factors:

1: Age.

2: How many messages I have sent from it.

I've got a yahoo account that is only used as a account of last
resort/alternate technical contact for zones I own that almost NEVER
gets spam. I have NEVER sent an e-mail from it, and only Register.com
and Godaddy have ever been given it.

OTOH, I have the "when I register for free stuff" yahoo account that is
deluged.

I think, averaged, the number may be correct.