funsec mailing list archives

Re: 95% of User Generated Content is spam or malicious

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 13:45:07 -0500

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 01:16:17PM -0500, Dan Kaminsky wrote:
What would you suggest a vendor do against a spammer?

Sue?
Bribe?
Assault?

<chuckle>

        "What we need are a couple of good hangings."
                --- FTC Commissioner Orson Swindle, 2003

The real answer to your question is much longer.  If you're so interested
in these things, why aren't you on spam-l, which is pretty much where
anybody with expert-level skills in this subject area hangs out?  I feel
like I'm giving you a paragraph-by-paragraph tutorial on anti-spam theory
and practice 101 here.   Maybe I should be charging for this.  ;-)

But there are quite a few things $VENDOR can do, none of which require
any illegal or unethical or even expensive or complicated actions.
However...since these same actions might endanger the revenue stream,
they're very seldom undertaken.  $VENDOR is not here to stop spammers:
$VENDOR is here to line their pockets by taking advantage of the Internet's
collective misery.

And some $VENDORS are pretty blatant about it: heck, I've even got a small
blacklist of supposedly-anti-spam vendors that have spammed to promote
their anti-spam products and services.  How incredibly sleazy is that?

        Now...youse wouldn't want anything bad maybe to happen to ya mail
        servers, wouldja?

Or, Brit version:

        Luigi: How many men you got here, Colonel?
        Colonel: Oh, errr...seven thousand infantry, six hundred artillery,
                and errr, two divisions of paratroops.
        Luigi:  Paratroops, Dino.
        Dino: Be a shame if someone was to set fire to them.
        Colonel: Set fire to them?
        Luigi: Fires happen, Colonel.
        Dino: Things burn.

---Rsk