funsec mailing list archives

Re: NYT: Medical Radiation: A Plan Goes Wrong

From: Bill Weiss <houdini+funsec () clanspum net>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 10:13:26 -0600

Shawn Merdinger(shawnmer () gmail com)@Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 04:15:59PM -0500:
fyi,

Via RISKS:  http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Risks/25.93.html

"A New York City hospital treating him for tongue cancer had failed to
detect a computer error that directed a linear accelerator to blast
his brain stem and neck with errant beams of radiation. Not once, but
on three consecutive days.  Mr. Jerome-Parks died several weeks later
in 2007. He was 43."

NYT Article:  http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/24/health/24radiation.html
NYT Slideshow:
http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2010/01/24/us/20100124RADIATION1_index.html

At least we learn from our lessons... wait, maybe not:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therac-25

--
Bill Weiss

How To Write Good
 35. Don't never use no double negatives.