funsec mailing list archives

Re: anybody here from facebook?

From: Chris Boyd <cboyd () gizmopartners com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 09:23:42 -0500

On May 4, 2010, at 6:35 PM, Gadi Evron wrote:

Exactly, if a person chooses to email you, it's not bulk and it's not
spam (not the same). It may be unwanted, but blaming facebook of
spamming means your definition of spam includes opt-in mailing list
sign-ups.

I was willing to forgive Facebook the first email, since it was actually generated when a person I know asked them to
send it.  But I never responded, and FB continued to send emails reminding me that I had not responded to their
previous emails.  That's definitely moving to the spammy end of the spectrum.

But they apparently do honor the "don't ever email me again" links, since I have not received any more email from them
after following those links.  Now, under their current information monetization model, FB has probably set up a profile
for me and is telling everyone that I'm an evil anti-social person since I have refused their reasonable and generous
offers to join FB.

--Chris