funsec mailing list archives

Re: A perfect marriage: vuvuzelas and soccer

From: "Randal T. Rioux" <randy () procyonlabs com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 14:05:45 -0400

On 06/14/2010 12:02 PM, Ned Fleming wrote:

There's nothing like a one-one or, better yet, a nil-nil tie in soccer
(that's "association football" for the kiwis).

The vuvuzela adds the perfect accompaniment to the drudgery of soccer
-- an incessant, tiresome drone. Top it off with laudanum and you may
have the ideal trifecta.

Security related?

Protect your hearing (and sanity) with ear plugs. The vuvuzela
discharges a 127 decibel screech. Also, don't get addicted to
laudanum.

I am so torn on this one. I'm all for local tradition, but I watched the
whole USA-England match with great audible irritation. It was so bad I
considered running the audio through JACK on a Linux box and trying to
eliminate the sound with some clever frequency hacking.

Alas, my motivation was crushed by my inability to stop watching long
enough to do so :-)

Randy

/Go DC United (Saturday)! I must say though, El Salvador has the
awesomest fans (they fill half of RFK!!)

//Everything soccer is "security" related. Someone always ends up in
jail after or during a game.