funsec mailing list archives

Re: Privacy Police Go Paranoid Against Google

From: "steve pirk [egrep]" <steve () pirk com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 12:17:14 -0700

I buzzed the article. Excellent job Larry! Not that anyone will promote it
to the nightly news... ;-]

--steve
On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 11:26, Larry Seltzer <larry () larryseltzer com> wrote:

http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/2010/06/privacy_police_go_paranoid_aga.php

(Yes, this is a little about driving traffic to my blog, but it’s also
on-point for funsec.

Why do people get so irrational about privacy issues?

I've spoken to several people who have been involved with real software
development (as I have) and we all find Google's explanation of the Street
View Wifi data collection incident<http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2364904,00.asp?kc=PCRSS05079TX1K0000992>
 perfectly plausible. I'll go further: The idea that they intended to
collect Wifi payload data for this operation is highly implausible.

….

--
steve pirk
refiamerica.org