funsec mailing list archives

Re: U.A.E. Declares BlackBerry a Security Risk

From: Henri Salo <henri () nerv fi>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 20:06:28 +0300

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 12:06:23 -0400 (EDT)
der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org> wrote:

Why the BlackBerry in particular?
Perhaps because their entire operation is run as poorly as their
email system?
So Obama is allowed to carry one, why, exactly?

I'm reminded of a past workplace.  They gave me a crackberry until I
made it clear I had no intention of reading my email on it, at which
point they reclaimed it and gave it to someone else.  (Small loss; the
user interface would have driven me nuts to try to use to any
significant extent.)

I would have expected giving one's login password to someone outside
the company would be a firing offense, but apparently it's OK when the
"someone" in question is RIM.  I've never quite understood why.

/~\ The ASCII                           Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML              mouse () rodents-montreal org
/ \ Email!         7D C8 61 52 5D E7 2D 39  4E F1 31 3E E8 B3 27

Maybe the answer is something similar to or between the lines:

"Change company, now!"

Best regards,
Henri Salo