funsec mailing list archives

Re: To see why iris scanning can be a biometric ...

From: Larry Seltzer <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 13:22:20 -0400

A long time ago, maybe 2001 or so, I did a little contract testing for a
biometrics devices company. I actually don't remember which one it was. I
tested an iris scanner, although it was about driver compatibility, not
the iris scanning functionality which I didn't test.

They told me though that there were some difficult problems with different
ethnicities. To put it gently, some eyes are harder to read than others.