funsec mailing list archives

Re: To see why iris scanning can be a biometric ...

From: Dan Kaminsky <dan () doxpara com>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 00:19:30 -0400

So there were actually a couple of *really* cool papers at SIGGRAPH this
year:  Normally, computers graphics is all about, given a material,
determine the way light interacts with it.  Lately, the field has been
moving the other direction -- given an understanding of the way light
interacts with a material, synthesize something with those properties:

Physical Reproduction of Materials with Specified Subsurface Scattering
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/gfx/pubs/Hasan_2010_PRO/index.php
*
*Fabricating Spatially-Varying Subsurface Scattering
http://www.dongallen.com/project/fabscat/fabscat.htm  (heh.)

The general problem with biometrics is that they leak.  We've already seen
spoofing hit fingerprint scanners -- with gummi bears, no less.  It's pretty
clear that 3D printers are effectively becoming material replication
engines.  Ginning up a sufficienct ocular biometric is going to be an
affordable proposition in an uncomfortably small period of time.

We have much lower standards for biometrics than crypto ciphers.  People
_really_ want to be able to self-authenticate.

That being said, security might be quantized, but it's not absolute.  Once
you start throwing in things like threats to family, not even duress phrases
are a catch all ("anything happens to us, your family is dead in a year").
And there has never, in the history of man, been a security technology that
has achieved complete success against repudiation.  Just not how the world
works.

Last note -- my understanding is that iris entropy is pretty high -- not as
high as blood vessels on the retina, but higher than fingerprints, and way
higher than hand geometry.  It also leaks "less", in that fingerprints are
just deposited everywhere.