funsec mailing list archives

Re: And they intend to do this securely, how, exactly?

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents-montreal org>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 11:25:58 -0400 (EDT)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39379819/ns/technology_and_science-security/

When the rest of the world is using OpenSSL and SSH, how you gonna do
this securely?

Assuming the story accurately reports the plans (which is far from
guaranteed), I would say it's just another instance of someone in
government deciding to mandate something without bothering to check
that it's actually possible.

The cryptography genie has been out of the bottle for a very long time
(in computer terms); there's no way it's going back in now, especially
for communication among people who are willing to ignore laws.

And no, that "run only signed code" hardware won't help; even if it
were magically made ubiquitous, at most it would force a layer of
interpretation.  Given any user programmability to speak of, it's
possible to layer crypto on top of it - I could implement IDEA or
Blowfish or even RSA in sh or javascript if I cared to bother, and I'm
hardly alone in that.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse () rodents-montreal org