funsec mailing list archives

Re: And they intend to do this securely, how, exactly?

From: Dave Paris <dparis () w3works com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 20:29:54 +0000

On 9/27/2010 6:49 PM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 10:39 AM,<Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu>  wrote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39379819/ns/technology_and_science-security/

When the rest of the world is using OpenSSL and SSH, how you gonna do this
securely?  (Yes, I know how to MITM an OpenSSL connection.  How do you design
a network service so Good Guys can do that but Bad Guys can't?)
I'd like to read the details on circumventing, side stepping, and
preventing the use of OpenSSL and friends. Based on the limited
abilities of politicians (the US is in two wars right now because
policy exceeded their ability to practice diplomacy), it can't be too
impressive.

In the end, its more gestapo legislation that will be abused by the US
government.

It's a technical infeasibility that will never make it as legislation.
Between non-US software companies, open source projects that will flip
this their collective birds, and military use of crypto that would now
require backdoors, I have no fear of this becoming law.

 From the provider side, the hardware capability to monitor and process
10Gb links (or faster) is prohibitively expensive.  It's not as though
Tier-1 providers are suddenly going to add taps into each 10G circuit,
just waiting for that tap to fail and take out a decent amount of capacity.

So, let the politicians be idiots.  It's easier to tell who's completely
bereft of technical clue - and advisers - that way. (ok, so that's like
picking the lesser of evils, but still..)