funsec mailing list archives

Re: 'Patriotic' hacker claims credit for WikiLeaks attack

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2010 12:45:16 -0500

And thus we see a repeat (in another arena) of one of the fallacies
often associated with debates over "full disclosure": to wit, the
theory that if X does not publish a set of facts, that those facts
are unavailable to Y and Z.

I would presume that any intelligence service worthy of the name has
long since acquired everything in the latest Wikileaks release that's
of interest to them.  Given the huge number of people who have/had
access to varying subsets of it, I think we can safely presume that
some have been bought, some have been careless, some have been burgled,
and so on.  Of course Y and Z (for some values of Y and Z) are now
making all the right noises to maintain the pretense that they were
unaware of any of this until Wikileaks published it; this is necessary
to conceal the effectiveness of their own operations.

So the only thing that this pitifully misguided "hacker", and I hesitate
to use that term, but let's press on, is doing, is preventing the public
from knowing what its servants have been up to.  (And not terribly
effectively; Wikileaks is currently up and responding from my location.)

---rsk