funsec mailing list archives

Re: Inmate E-Mail (someone guessed right)

From: Shawn Merdinger <shawnmer () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 13:45:35 -0500

Hi Justin,

On Wed, Dec 1, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Justin Scott <admin () dtdns com> wrote:
If anyone has suggestions on improving the invitation process or
anything else I'm all ears.

Nice to see this option for incarcerated people and their families,
though at 50 cents per email it's a bit costly imho.

1.  I've noticed a the lack of SSL on the credit ordering page where
credit card info is entered [1]

2.  The TOS section here is a bit confusing, especially the term
"public area" -- am I to understand that all user
content/communication/emails posted are in the "public area" by this
TOS?  [2]   Some folks might wonder how this comes into play regarding
attorney/client privilege, etc.

<snip>
By posting Content to any public area of SmartJailMail.com, you
automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the
right to grant, to SmartJailMail.com, its affiliates, licensees and
successors, an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, fully paid,
worldwide license to use, copy, perform, display, reproduce, adapt,
modify and distribute such information and content and to prepare
derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such information
and content, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing.
You further represent and warrant that public posting and use of your
content by SmartJailMail.com will not infringe or violate the rights
of any third party.
</snip>

3.  I expect there's likely some very interesting intelligence that
could be gathered from these communications, both from a LEA and more
academic nature.  Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Cheers,
--scm

[1]  screenshot:  http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/3650/screenshot1020.png
[2]  http://www.smartjailmail.com/terms-of-service.cfm