funsec mailing list archives

Re: Spam from people I know

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 00:12:02 +0100 (BST)

Yes, I hadn't thought of the phishing possibility.

I haven't followed the links; I don't stick my hands into places that I
don't know about.

Date sent:            Mon, 11 Oct 2010 17:53:03 +0100 (BST)
From:                 Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>

I get a spam, no subject, sent to maybe half a dozen people. But it comes
from someone I'm in email contact with (i.e., I've sent them an email,
maybe they've sent me one).

What's the malware that causes this, and what will detect it?

Well, not uncommon, over the past decade (you know that), but, with the lack of
subject line, are most of these from AOL, Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, or other
Webmail accounts?  We've seen a lot of this (do they come with URLs leading to
"Canadaian Pharmacy" sites?) and I suspect it isn't malware, it's all the email
account phishing that is going on.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the
man who can't read them.                                - Mark Twain
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm blog.isc2.org/isc2_blog/slade/index.html
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://www.infosecbc.org/links http://twitter.com/rslade