funsec mailing list archives

Re: Spam from people I know

From: John Mason Jr <john.mason.jr () cox net>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 19:52:07 -0400

  On 10/11/2010 12:53 PM, Drsolly wrote:
This started a couple of months ago, but it's getting bigger in volume.

I get a spam, no subject, sent to maybe half a dozen people. But it comes
from someone I'm in email contact with (i.e., I've sent them an email,
maybe they've sent me one).

What's the malware that causes this, and what will detect it?

Not sure of precise name of the malware, but the following have helped
me clean up a few machines

http://live.sunbeltsoftware.com/
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
http://www.superantispyware.com/

The following link may help to make sure the computer & software are up
to date
http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

The hardest part is to change the user mindset otherwise the behavior
that got the malware on the computer will be repeated.

John