funsec mailing list archives

Re: Firefox slow?

From: Joel Esler <joel.esler () me com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 09:03:39 -0500

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 07:58:31PM -0500, Larry Seltzer wrote:
Chrome has it's own security problems.  (a lot of them).  While I agree
it's a freaking fast browser, I'm still on Safari.

Chrome is sandboxed. Very, very few of the vulnerabilities in it are
exploitable in a meaningful way. In fact, the critical vulnerability they
reported yesterday
(http://blogs.pcmag.com/securitywatch/2011/01/new_chrome_version_includes_
cr.php) is actually not exploitable because it's not in live code.

The sandbox is currently broken.  I know people that can get out of it.
For obvious reasons, I can't really disclose more than that.

I'd send you the list of critical vulnerabilities in Safari, but I'm
afraid Verizon will start throttling my account for excessive bandwidth
usage.

I understand that.  They are essentially the same engine, if it affects
Safari, it'll probably affect Chrome, but not necessarily vice versa.