funsec mailing list archives

Re: Why I no longer jailbreak my Iphone or wish list

From: RandallM <randallm () fidmail com>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 14:39:44 -0500

Ok, so, back to the subject of "useful second party apps" for IPhone,
jailbroke or not (thank Chaim Rieger,Joel Esler, der Mouse and Peter Evans
for your insightful feelings.

As my IPhone stands right now, unbroken, I use it as much as I can with the
apps available, for my employment of network/security guy.

1. while sitting in my chair at home I can fire up VPN (default Iphone on,
waiting on juniper to get the SSL/VPN together), open either VNC, Winadmin,
or prefered Teleport, check what problem the helpdesk ticket said. I mean,
how cool! Restart services or servers WITHOUT having to get up an go to the
computer!
2. At work walk around and check the WiFi stations.
3. Use "Scany" just cause its available to scan network
4. Communicate with Sales folks through AIM (and via having others on the
Office Communicator ad my AIM to their list).
4. While lets say, in the Plant area, an upstairs CS rep has a problem, I
VNC to her machine right there on the IPhone to fix it.

So, my first IPhone was the 2g. I now of course have the 4G iphone. Have
jailbroken all. Why? Cause I keep hoping some developer will have or come up
with more useful tools for a network guy.

I would love to see an app for:
1., Network Tools. An all in-one app. Scan, ping, test. Imagine if you could
pull SQL queries?
2, Virtual box like to test
3. SNMP app for queries to pull various info and have quick look at down/up
servers, computers, printers, etc.

Is there an APP for that! for network guys...thats just my wish list.

but, alas, Iphone is for painting, picture taking, photo manipulation.
Jailbroken it then only adds pretty themes and ring tones out the wassu.

--
been great, thanks
RandyM