funsec mailing list archives

Re: Why I no longer jailbreak my Iphone or wish list

From: lists <lists () oitc com>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2011 21:37:48 -0400

On May 7, 2011, at 3:39 PM, RandallM wrote:

Ok, so, back to the subject of "useful second party apps" for IPhone, jailbroke or not (thank Chaim Rieger,Joel
Esler, der Mouse and Peter Evans for your insightful feelings.

As my IPhone stands right now, unbroken, I use it as much as I can with the apps available, for my employment of
network/security guy.

1. while sitting in my chair at home I can fire up VPN (default Iphone on, waiting on juniper to get the SSL/VPN
together), open either VNC, Winadmin, or prefered Teleport, check what problem the helpdesk ticket said. I mean, how
cool! Restart services or servers WITHOUT having to get up an go to the computer!
2. At work walk around and check the WiFi stations.
3. Use "Scany" just cause its available to scan network
4. Communicate with Sales folks through AIM (and via having others on the Office Communicator ad my AIM to their
list).
4. While lets say, in the Plant area, an upstairs CS rep has a problem, I VNC to her machine right there on the
IPhone to fix it.

So, my first IPhone was the 2g. I now of course have the 4G iphone. Have jailbroken all. Why? Cause I keep hoping
some developer will have or come up with more useful tools for a network guy.

I would love to see an app for:
1., Network Tools. An all in-one app. Scan, ping, test. Imagine if you could pull SQL queries?
2, Virtual box like to test
3. SNMP app for queries to pull various info and have quick look at down/up servers, computers, printers, etc.

Is there an APP for that! for network guys...thats just my wish list.

but, alas, Iphone is for painting, picture taking, photo manipulation. Jailbroken it then only adds pretty themes and
ring tones out the wassu.

Randy,

Try SNMPmon.

What I would like is an app that apple removed that a friend has but is no longer available It was a great wifi
stumbler that orvided received power and much much more.  Great not map out what is going on with your wifi.  All
iPhone users should pition apple to let stumblers back in the app store.

There also appears to be a port of nmap available as well.

Tom