funsec mailing list archives

Re: (perhaps ot) is a post on twitter considered speech or a published piece

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 12:19:37 -0800

Jolly good question.

I assume that this relates to the difference between libel and slander.

I suspect that different courts are going to be deciding this different ways, and that
it won't be sorted out for a while.

As an illustration, in the US, different *states* have looked at the Internet
differently, in terms of protection from eavesdropping.  Some have decided it is a
telephone system (weak protection, I think Indiana is an example), and some see
it as the mail (strong protection, Washington [state, not DC] being an example).

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
People are accustomed to believe and have been encouraged in the
belief by some who aspire to the character of philosophers, that
their feelings, on subjects of this nature, are better than
reasons, and render reasons unnecessary.
       - John Stuart Mill (1806-1873), On Liberty and Utilitarianism
victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm http://www.infosecbc.org/links
http://blogs.securiteam.com/index.php/archives/author/p1/
http://twitter.com/rslade