funsec mailing list archives

Re: Best Way to Avoid Virus Infection? Update Your Software

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 21:05:41 -0400

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 02:55:54PM -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
Other than that, I think it's reasonable to assume that either they were
hacked, or they found it expedient to claim they had been hacked to cover up
something even more nefarious.

Exactly.  AFAIK, no evidence has yet been produced which substantiates
their claim.  And you know as well as I do that the "Hacker X" claim
has been used by spammers (and others) for many years in order to
provide plausible deniability.

"I find your lack of disclosure...disturbing."

So perhaps they're telling the truth.  Perhaps they're not.  (I find it
useful to always presume that when the word "spokesperson" enter the
conversation, that lying is in progress.  After all, *anyone* could
tell the truth; it takes a well-trained, seasoned professional to lie
convincingly and at length.)

---rsk