funsec mailing list archives

Re: China vs. U.S.: The cyber Cold War is raging

From: Dave Paris <dparis () w3works com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 22:28:27 -0400

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 7:17 PM, Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com> wrote:
http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/28/technology/government_hackers/
(This is part four of a week-long series on the ecosystem of cybercrime)

On April 8, 2010, traffic to about 15% of the world's websites was
rerouted to China.

State-owned Internet company China Telecom tricked relays from around
the world into routing traffic through its servers for about 18
minutes.
[...]

Fat fingering and leaking a full internet routing table is hardly
"tricking" - and it only affected peering providers who don't employ
max prefix values on their peering sessions.

While I cannot say whether this was purposefully done, I can say that
ChinaTel is not the first, nor will they be the last to do this.  It's
been done before by both domestic and international carriers & peers
..and will be done again by that same group.  Blindly attributing
malice to every suspect action is no way to approach global
networking.  Proof of intent goes a lot further than conjecture with
those of us who see this kind of thing happen on global backbones as
part of our jobs, rather than those who observe it from a protracted
distance through glasses who see everything as a conspiracy.

-d