funsec mailing list archives

Re: outlaw on the net in the UK

From: Jim Murray <jim () digitaldaemons co uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 22:35:18 +0000

To my mind far more concerning is just how skewed the legal position is becoming in favour of multinationals and celebrities. From reading the information presented on the site (I am no lawyer so can't comment on it's accuracy) it appears that expressing an opinion can potentially be illegal.

To my mind that is simply ludicrous - whatever happened to free speech?

There are others too.. why shouldn't I resell something I have purchased legitimately? What right has a manufacturer to tell me I can't resell something I bought just because it might hurt their brand or undercut their pricing?

If I can buy something cheaper on the 'grey market' then surely that indicates that I'm being asked to pay too much for it by the authorized supplier. Far from making it illegal to trade on the grey market it should be positively encouraged - it is after all simply capitalism at work.

It's high time there was much greater organized opposition to the protectionist legislation that multinationals and the like are lobbying for and using to erode the rights & liberties of everybody.

Jim.