funsec mailing list archives

Re: class fee and rewards?

From: "Randal T. Rioux" <randy () procyonlabs com>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 23:34:54 -0500

RandallM wrote:
Hi
I always wanted to attend some classes to refresh and regroup on pen
and security. Every time I go look I am just stumped at the prices.
Since I have not attended a SAN's course I could be mis judging and
perhaps the price is wel worth it.

No. Buy a couple books. I've always said, lessons are for the unmotivated :-)

Network Penetration Testing and Ethical Hacking
Course Fee: $4,365.00
Certification Fee: $549.00
OnDemand Fee: $449.00

This kind of crap makes me angry. You get more out of a conference talk (like at Defcon or CarolinaCon) in an hour than a whole day of stuffy classroom and light refreshments.

its an vlive session, home type course 3 hrs every week for 12 wks.

Meh. Then the price should be even lower.

You who have experienced these types of courses, can you tell me its
worth that much?

I have, and I know a few instructors as well. Doesn't sway my opinion.

For example, CISSP boot camps and courses[1]. Oooh, PowerPoint slide shows and bad jokes. Not the best way to learn.

Randy

PS That being said, I will be doing another lunch and learn at SANS DC next month - but hey, those are free for people :-)

[1] Well, that was about 10 years ago for me. But from what I've heard, same premise.