funsec mailing list archives

Re: Seriously?

From: "Nick FitzGerald" <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2012 14:04:07 +1200

Dan Hubbar wrote:

Does anyone have a sample website? I am wondering if you need to have
the checkbock selected for allowing external apps from non-sanctioned
marketplaces..

Not been able to find a working site (the first level IFrame domain is
working again -- well, last I looked -- but the next level of
redirection was (still) down) but from the descriptions I've read and
discussions with colleague, the answer is "yes, you need to have
enabled that option".

It's not a driveby anything though -- except for the mental cripples
who accept Wikipedia's definition of "drive by download".  When it
works it does so by the browser popping up an "accept this download"
warning and the user assenting.  This is nothing different from a
squillion other pages over the years (mostly compromised) that via a
redirect of some kind, a JS, an Iframe, etc cause a visitor's browser
to request a URL whose contents turn out to be of a content type that
the browser has no native handler for, causing the browser to pop-up
some kind of a "what the heck do you want to do with this" dialog.

"driveby download", "driveby exploit", etc, etc means "nothing
whatsoever to do with the browser user (think "victim") other than
happening to have been in the wrong place at the wrong time", as should
be obvious to anyone with a fifth-grade education and a vague
understanding of the meaning of the term "drive by shooting", which is
the analogy from which "driveby downloads", etc, etc were named in the
first place.

"user-initiated drive by download" is thus, again obviously so, an
oxymoron.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald