funsec mailing list archives

Re: Petraeus

From: "Marc" <marc () marcd org>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 15:30:24 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: funsec-bounces () linuxbox org [mailto:funsec-bounces () linuxbox org]
On Behalf Of Blanchard, Michael (InfoSec)
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 12:34
To: Rich Kulawiec; funsec () linuxbox org
Subject: Re: [funsec] Petraeus

I agree...   his infidelity has nothing to do with his position.  He
made a bad judgement call... as we all do at times..

This is a matter that should be between Mr. and Mrs. Patraeus, and not
the country.

Momentary lack in judgement does not define your duty to country, nor
does it define you.

Michael P. Blanchard
Senior Security Engineer, CISSP, GCIH, CCSA-NGX, MCSE Office of
Information Security & Risk Management EMC ² Corporation
32 Coslin Drive
Southboro, MA 01772

Unfortunately, when a top secret clearance is involved, things are a bit
different.  Not only is the person cleared, but everyone around that person
is also cleared ...  The thought is that if one has a hidden affair with an
author, that author could have just as easily been a spy.  Very likely if he
had told the right people he was having an affair, and the person he was
having the affair with was cleared, it would have been OK with everyone,
with the possible exception of Mrs. Petraeus.  It is well known that sex is
used as a technique to get close to a target.  It's not about the affair or
sex - it's about trustworthiness.