funsec mailing list archives

Re: This is [phishing] news?!?

From: Conrad Constantine <conrad () 1211 net>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 00:36:14 -0400

On 10/5/2012 4:35 PM, Stephanie Daugherty wrote:
Yeah, would be nice if the term was properly explained, rather than
turning into another buzzword. The old term "stairstepping" almost
captures the meaning just as well, except that it leaves the "lying in
wait" part off.

-Steph

I've always liked to refer to it as "what security threats looked like before mass-target criminal malware became the norm". This astonishment over a "sudden move towards highly-targeted attacks" is a wonderful shiboleth to identify people that have only been aware of infosec some since some time in the last decade. Everything old is new again, and people love to assume that "new to me" means "new to everyone"...sigh..

(full disclosure: I've got an article on exactly this topic making its rounds through the security trade press this week).

ObFunSec: When can we start getting people worked up about MPT again? Y'know.. those Mundane Persistent Threats, the kind we ask every year to get manpower, budget and authority to fix.