funsec mailing list archives

Re: You have just violated the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act...

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 07:53:54 -0500

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 08:39:15PM -0500, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
(TicketMaster used it despite the fact
that the inventors of CAPTCHA stated it was not a security device in
their paper).

As an aside, captchas have absolutely no value of any kind, security
or otherwise.  They have been quite, quite thoroughly beaten.  Their
only remaining use is as a litmus test: anyone still using them is
ignorant and incompetent.

Now...every now and then, when I point that out, someone says "but hey,
*our* captchas are working".  And then I use one of my favorite quotes:

        Vir: Londo, they could've killed me!
        Mollari: Nonsense, you are not important enough to kill.

---rsk