funsec mailing list archives

Who said spam isn't useful?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 18:24:45 +0000 (GMT)

I just changed my mail servers; I'm now using the Raspberry Pi instead of
a traditional box (and I'm blown away by how good it is, but that's
another story).

It's complicated. These servers are behind two firewalls (I can explain
why if you really want to know, but you can probably guess), and there's a
fetchmail process on a third Pi that collects the mail from them (and from
other email address I have) and runs my own despammer.

So, when I shifted that lot from traditional-type conputers running Redhat
and an Imap that doesn't seem to have a name other than "IMAP",  to
Raspberry Pies running Raspbian (a dialect of Debian) using Dovecot for
the IMAP, (and there's other minor differences, and we all know that it
only takes one minor difference to completely bugger things up) I
naturally wanted to test that it's all working.

No need.

The spam started arriving immediately, thus reassuring me that it's all
working.