funsec mailing list archives

Re: Who said spam isn't useful?

From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk () gsp org>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 10:05:12 -0500

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 06:24:45PM +0000, Drsolly wrote:
The spam started arriving immediately, thus reassuring me that it's all
working.

I have a domain that is not obviously associated with me.  It has one
MX, that points to a system not obviously associated with me. [1]
That system has been running continuously for over a decade and quietly
accepts all SMTP traffic directed at it.  Neither the domain nor the
server has ever emitted any email.  (It can't.  Outbound connections are
blocked at the firewall.)  There are no valid addresses in it except
for postmaster and abuse, per RFC 2142.

The results have been most enlightening, particularly when
spammers-for-hire claim that they are "email service providers" and
"email marketing companies".

---rsk

[1] I trust everyone is aware that some spammers, at least the competent
ones, try not to hit addresses/domains/systems/networks associated with
anti-spam types.  Hence the misdirection.