funsec mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: petition to remove Aaron Swartz prosecutor

From: Kyle Creyts <kyle.creyts () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 18:30:30 -0800

Well, with each passing Saturday bringing the trial closer, each probably
looked more bleak.
On Jan 14, 2013 12:55 PM, <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 15:34:32 -0500, Jeffrey Walton said:
On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 3:26 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 12:15:09 -0500, Jeffrey Walton said:
From the Full Disclosure mailing list.

Schwartz recently committed suicide over the incident.

Do we have any confirmation that the suicide was directly caused by
the legal issues?  Like a suicide note that says so?

His family made the statement:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/12/local/la-me-0113-aaron-swartz-20130113
.

Yes, that's what his *family* said.  What did *Aaron* say?

From the same article:

"On his blog, Swartz had written of his history of depression."

So it may have have been one contributing cause, but it's not a slam dunk
to conclude a direct causal relationship "court case therefor suicide". For
all we know, he's been having those thoughts for *years*, and Friday was
simply the day that he woke up and realized there was no way he could face
Saturday.