funsec mailing list archives

Re: Kafka would have been proud ...

From: Bill Terwilliger <sideshowtwig () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2014 14:41:05 -0400

Based on this paragraph, it seems that she is not worthy of passing her background check:

“””
Barr maintains that she had been truthful throughout both interviews, and that “there was no material fact about these
organizations for me to omit.” Barr says she was casually acquainted with two of the convicted murderers, Judith Clark
and Kuwasi Balagoon (née Donald Weems) but had no prior knowledge of their criminal activities. Clark remains in a
maximum security prison for women in New York state, and Balagoon died in 1986 of an AIDS-related illness. (Barr says
she wrote to Balagoon occasionally while he was in prison—“it would have been reprehensible for me to drop my
correspondence with a dying person,” she explains—and visited him once.)
“””

That seems to indicate that she knowingly had ongoing ties with a known terrorist.   She clearly had a relationship if
she was writing to them in prison and occasionally visiting them.  And she must have had some inclination that they
were classified as terrorist if she saw something on the news about their terrorist activities.  Her statement about
having “no material fact…” is odd to me.  Is she saying that she she didn’t have concrete evidence therefore she wasn’t
knowingly associated with terrorist?  Am I missing something else?

Based on my experience, all the OPM cares about is honesty.  If she had admitted to the relationship during the first
interview, the process likely would have been longer and they would have dug deeper, but she almost certainly would
have passed in the end.  But when you get caught lying, no matter how small the lie, the process abruptly ends and you
[rightly] fail.

—bill