Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Need your helping defining honeypots

From: "Andy Cuff \[talisker\]" <offthecuff () lineone net>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 12:44:40 +0100

Hi Lance
My preference is to the latter, though I do prefer Davide's version:

"A honeypot is a security resource used to monitor, log, and study the
actions of unauthorized entities which probe, attack or compromise it."

Matt Fisher introduces the term decoy which is especially pertinent to
development honeypots, perhaps this could be used instead of resource.
Whilst we are discussing definitions is there a better term for development
honeypots?

take care
-andy
Taliskers Network Security Tools