Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: my sebek2 did not work

From: george chamales <george () overt org>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 23:56:31 -0500

I also use tcpdump to capture the udp port 1101,but got nothing the same
Is there anybody faced the same problem the same with I did ?

The first thing I'd do is double-check that the parameters for the destination are correct and that it is possible to see any traffic coming out of the honeypot at the sniffer machine.

If it still doesn't work you should make sure the sebek module loaded properly on the honeypot. The sebek.sh script that is used to load the module uses the -q (quiet) option to insmod. This keeps insmod from returning any information when the module loads (which makes perfect sense once everything's working right but makes things a bit tricky when you're testing).

Try rebooting the honeypot (to clear out sebek if it was already loaded), removing the -q option from the first insmod command in the sebek.sh script, commenting out the insmod and rmmod of cleaner.o and rerunning the script. If you don't get any error messages and you can see the sebek module in lsmod then the module should be up and running.

Good luck,
george
ut austin honeynet project