Honeypots mailing list archives

Re: Legal Question about privacy

From: "Matt D. Harris" <vesper () depraved org>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 12:16:06 -0400

Richard Johnson wrote:
In my opinion, the principles of respect for persons, justice and beneficience all taken together indicate that such research should or must be performed, and the results disseminated, but unknowing and innocent subjects should be anonymized.

But what about cases where the subject is not innocent, and indeed, were this not simply a research project, would be guilty of a felony in most countries? What of the idea of a honey-pot used solely to prosecute would-be evildoers? In reality, when doing something that one knows to be illegal, can they have any expectation of privacy? To throw out a physical-world example, what if someone set out a cheap automobile disguised as a lexus to catch a neighborhood car thief. Would the individual who stole it (and was subsequently caught on camera) be able to expect privacy? What if someone with lots of money set out lexus's to study what sorts of people steal cars? :-) Certainly, throwing in an illegal act changes the playing field a bit when compared with behavioral studies with regards to things like which hand someone is more likely to use to pick up a pencil while under heavy stress and such other stimulating subjectmatter. I'm curious as to what the scientific and research community especially has to say on this topic.
-- MDH