Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: DOS From "inktomi.com"?

From: Dan Hollis <goemon () ANIME NET>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 22:54:03 -0700

On Tue, 22 Aug 2000, Bryan Andersen wrote:
"Vonelm, William J" wrote:
  We've just had one of our web servers pummeled into the ground by repeated
cgi requests from what appears to be a web-crawler from "inktomi.com".  Has
anybody else experienced this?  Is it some kind of malicious web Denial of
Service attack or just a poorly constructed web crawler?
It's a bad web crawler.  Complain to them.  http://www.inktomi.com and
follow their contacts page.  I've had my link saturated by them a couple
of times.

Their contacts are worthless. I complained to them every day for over a
month, I tried every email on their damn web page and they simply did not
stop, nor did I ever get any reply. And they did not stop.

In the end I had to contact exodus and have them come down on inktomi to
clean up their act. It did stop, for a few days, after inktomi promised to
remove our hosts from their crawl list. I suspect exodus threatened to
pull their connection.

Then it started up again, and again complaints fell on deaf ears.

In the end we just firewalled inktomi.

-Dan