Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: DOS From "inktomi.com"? - CONCLUSION

From: "Vonelm, William J" <billve () BNL GOV>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 09:36:22 -0400

  Looks like this was "mostly harmless".  While the crawler involved was
particularly aggressive it seems that the web admin involved ah... *forgot*
to install a "robots.txt" file to limit it's curiosity.  Everything now
appears to have returned to normal although we will be keeping an eye on the
Exodus subnet (216.35.0.0) from which the crawler originated as we've had
"issues" with Exodus in the past.

 Many thanks to all those who responded!
--
Bill Von Elm:  Computer Analyst- Cyber Security Operations
e-mail: billve () bnl gov || Phone:(631)344-4131 || Fax:(631)344-3211

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
                                               - Aldous Huxley