Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: /tmp/bob on compromised system

From: Joseph Pingenot <jap3003 () ksu edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 23:14:43 -0500

Hey.

        We recently had a solaris 7 box compromised.  We *think* that
the crackers got initial access through the oracle account which has
the default password :-(.

From what I've read, a Bad Idea.  :/

deleting was /tmp/bob, now that rings a bell in my memory but I can't

Searching Google for "bob exploit" returned the following page:
  http://www.false.net/ipfilter/2000_03/0129.html
  Alta Vista returned nothing new and this was sufficient, so
  I dropped it.

--
"A perfect firewall, as Marcus Ranum has commented, is actually