Security Incidents mailing list archives

Protect rpc.statd by tcp wrapper? (was Re: /tmp/bob on compromised system

From: "Ralf G. R. Bergs" <rabe () RWTH-Aachen DE>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 21:22:56 +0200

On Mon, 24 Jul 2000 21:25:14 -0700, Jeffrey F. Lawhorn wrote:

/tmp/bob is a finger print from a rpc.statd exploit.

Is it possible to protect the rpc.statd by using the tcp wrapper?

I currently have the following in my inetd.conf file on my Solaris
2.5.1...2.7 machines:

    rstatd/2-4      tli   rpc/datagram_v wait root \
       /usr/lib/netsvc/rstat/rpc.rstatd rpc.rstatd

Is it ok to use tcpd like this:

    rstatd/2-4      tli   rpc/datagram_v wait root \
       /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/lib/netsvc/rstat/rpc.rstatd

I'm not sure whether TLI and rpc/datagram_v works with tcpd.

Thanks,

Ralf

--
Sign the EU petition against SPAM:          L I N U X       .~.
http://www.politik-digital.de/spam/        The  Choice      /V\