Security Incidents mailing list archives

ICMP mapping, questioning legality!!

From: sec <sec () GFI COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 09:34:18 +0200

Hi,

A couple of days ago our snort detected a NMAP ping to all our public IPS.

I checked the IP with RIPE and contacted the owner of the IP however all he
said was:

'
We are spidering all addresses on the net
for sailory search engine.
We don't attempt to your security

regards
webmaster
'

I remailed them telling them that we dont tolerate such pingsweepeing
however
he emailed again the same email.

I dont know what he ment when he said 'sailory search engine'.

Are they doing anything wrong legalwise? How can i go about it?

regards,

David V

GFI - Security & communications products for Windows NT/2000
http://www.gfi.com

This mail was content checked for malicious code or viruses
by Mail essentials. Mail essentials for Exchange/SMTP is an
email security, content checking & anti-virus gateway that
removes all types of email-borne threats before they can affect
your email users. Spam, viruses, dangerous attachments & offensive
content can be removed before they reach your mail server.
In addition it has server-based email encryption, disclaimers
and other email features.

In addition to Mail essentials, GFI also produces the FAXmaker
fax server product range & LANguard internet access control &
intrusion detection. For more information on our products please
visit http://www.gfi.com