Security Incidents mailing list archives

Re: ICMP mapping, questioning legality!!

From: Benjamin Krueger <bkrueger () PLEXMEDIA COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 13:37:56 -0400

sec wrote:

Hi,

A couple of days ago our snort detected a NMAP ping to all our public IPS.

I checked the IP with RIPE and contacted the owner of the IP however all he
said was:

'
We are spidering all addresses on the net
for sailory search engine.
We don't attempt to your security

regards
webmaster
'

I remailed them telling them that we dont tolerate such pingsweepeing
however
he emailed again the same email.

I dont know what he ment when he said 'sailory search engine'.

Are they doing anything wrong legalwise? How can i go about it?

regards,

David V

People mapping your public IP space really isn't a cause for panic.
Something so obvious as a ping scan of your network space isn't likely
to precede an attack, unless your attacker is of the least intelligent
nature. As far as legality goes, at least in the US, there is nothing
illegal about pinging a host on the net, even if it is with the intent
of mapping your network. Your IP address space is publicly available,
afterall =)

--
Benjamin Krueger <bkrueger () plexmedia com>
Systems Administrator / Software Engineer